Port Royal
Nova Scotia, Canada
July 2003


The Port-Royal Habitation lasted from 1605 to 1613. Above is our costumed guide welcoming us.


In 1603, a French gentleman, Pierre Dugua Sieur de Mons, received a fur trade monopoly for a large area in North America on the condition that he establish a colony there.



His first expedition arrived in 1604 and selected a site for settlement on Saint Croix Island. That winter, nearly half the colonists succumbed to the cold and to scurvy.



The following summer, after exploring the nearby coasts, Samuel de Champlain, explorer and map-maker, and François Gravé Du Pont recommended a new site, named Port-Royal, across the Bay of Fundy.



The colony was moved before de Mons returned to France, leaving Gravé Du Pont in charge of the settlement. Ironically, just as the colony seemed capable of sustaining itself, word arrived that de Mons' monopoly was revoked. By the fall of 1607, the colonists were en route to France and the Habitation was left in the care of Membertou, the chief of the Mi'kmaq in the Port-Royal area.



In February 1606, Jean de Poutrincourt, to whom de Mons had earlier granted land at Port-Royal, received confirmation of this grant from the King of France. He returned in 1610 with a small expedition to Port-Royal, where he received a warm welcome from Membertou.



Hoping to retain royal favor and financial backing, de Poutrincourt encouraged the conversion to Catholicism of Membertou, his family and several of his people.



Despite these efforts, the colony lost its financial suppoert due to conflicts between de Poutrincourt's son, Charles de Biencourt, and the Jesuits at Port-Royal. The Habitation survived until 1613 when it was destroyed in an attack by Captain Samuel Argall of Virginia.



A defensive gun is overlooking the Annapolis Basin.


From the outside.
Acknowledgement: the text materials above were lifted from the flyer created by the Parks Canada that we got from the site.