Prince Edward Island
The front-side of the building.
From the inside looking at University Avenue.
The text below was lifted from the official website http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/pe/provincehouse/natcul/natcul1_e.asp
An agreement was signed in 1973 between Parks Canada and the Province of Prince Edward Island. Under the terms of the agreement, Parks Canada and the Province agreed to operate the site cooperatively for a period of 99 years. The Park's primary role is to protect and interpret for all time this important site to Canadians. Also as part of the agreement a major restoration project was undertaken by Parks Canada to restore a portion of the building to the 1864 period.
The restoration took place between 1979 and 1983 at a cost of $3.5million. The work was painstaking in its detail and involved extensive research and many talented craftspeople working thousands of hours to complete this major project. Province House was officially proclaimed a National Historic Site on July 1, 1983.
Province House continues to make history as it still houses the Legislative Assembly for the Province of Prince Edward Island. It is the focal point for political decisions and debates. Staff from the Province and Parks Canada work cooperatively in a site which welcomes over 100,000 visitors annually.
No historical building can be that historical without a gift shop!