Day 1. Drive to Quebec
30 Jun 2001 (Saturday)
6:00am depart Norwood,MA for Quebec, Canada
4:00pm check-in hotel
take 95N, 93N, exit 32 (New Hampshire)
take 95N, then 93N thru NH to Vermont, then 91N to the Canadian border
Canada's 55N to 20Est then 73N to Ste. Foy
Québec's Motto: Je me souviens (I remember)
Its Origin - In 1883, Eugène-Étienne Taché (1836-1912), an architect and the Deputy Minister of Crown Lands,
was drawing up the plans for the Québec Legislative Building (today the National Assembly). Under the arms of
Québec over the main entrance to the Parliament Building would be engraved in stone the motto Je me souviens.
It was used and referred to as Québec's motto for several decades. Its official status was further bolstered
when Québec adopted a new coat of arms in 1939 and placed these words on the scroll underneath.
Its Meaning - Eugène-Étienne Taché did not explain his intentions in any texts now available. But we can
understand the motto's meaning from its original context. Taché designed the front wall of the Parliament
Building as a remembrance of Québec's history. He made it into a pantheon with bronze sculptures of Amerindians,
explorers, missionaries, soldiers, and government administrators from the French Regime, and figures from
the English Regime like Wolfe, Dorchester, and Elgin. Other decorative features evoke characters or episodes
from the past and Taché left room for the heroes of future generations. The motto over the main entrance
sums up the architect's intentions: Je me souviens... I remember everything that this wall recalls.
Hôtellerie Fleur de Lys
115 Rue Sainte-Ann Quebec G1R 3X6
between Rue Ste-Angele and St-Stanislas
Phones (800) 567 2106 and (418) 694 0106
booked by Isadelle 22 March 2001, see AAA map on page 357
2 queen-size bed and 1 single-bed, kitchenette w/ microwave oven
tv with cable, refrigerator, coin laundry
Cost per night C$175 + 7% + 7.5% = C$200.375 + $10 parking = $210.375
Total cost $210.375 x 4 nights = C$841.50
About the Quebec Province - Quebec is the largest province in Canada geographically, and the second most populous, after Ontario,
with a population of 7,568,640 (Statistics Canada, January 2005). This represents about 24% of the
Canadian population. Quebec's primary and only official language is French, making up the bulk of the
Francophone population in North America. Quebec is the only Canadian province where English is not an official
language (at the provincial level), and it is one of only two Canadian provinces where French is an official
language. The capital is Quebec City (simply referred to as "Québec" in French) and the largest city is Montreal
(or Montréal in French).
No excursion to French-speaking Canada is complete without a visit to exuberant, romantic Québec City, which can claim
one of the most beautiful natural settings in North America. The well-preserved Vieux-Québec (Old Québec) is small and dense,
steeped in four centuries of history and French tradition. The ramparts that once protected the city, 17th- and 18th-century
buildings, and numerous parks and monuments are here. The government of Québec has completely restored many of the centuries-old
buildings of Place Royale, one of the oldest districts on the continent. Because of the site's immaculate preservation as the
only fortified city remaining in North America north of Mexico, UNESCO has designated Vieux-Québec a World Heritage Site.
Perched on a cliff above a narrow point in the St. Lawrence River, Québec City is the oldest municipality in Québec province.
In the 17th century the first French explorers, fur trappers, and missionaries came here to establish the colony of New France.
Today it still resembles a French provincial town in many ways; its family-oriented residents have strong ties to their past.
An estimated 96% of the Québec City region's population of more than 650,000 list French as their mother tongue.
Though Quebec is quite a small city, there are plenty of nightspots.
Rue St Jean is alive at night -- this is where people strut.
Njostradamus at No. 33 is a folk club with a casual, relaxed atmosphere.
Bar 1123 at that number, Rue St Jean, has live jazz, blues, and rock.
The upper portion of Rue St Jean near the gate is blocked off to traffic
in summer and becomes a mall for people.
Day 2. In and Around Quebec
1 July 2001 (Sunday)
Parc de l'Artillerie
The Citadel. Built at the city's highest point, on Cap Diamant, the Citadel is the largest
fortified base in North America still occupied by troops. The 25-building fortress was intended
to protect the port, prevent the enemy from taking up a position on the Plains of Abraham, and provide
a refuge in case of an attack. Having inherited incomplete fortifications, the British completed the
Citadel to protect themselves against French retaliations. By the time the Citadel was finished in 1832,
the attacks against Québec City had ended.
Since 1920 the Citadel has served as a base for the Royal 22nd Regiment. Firearms, uniforms,
and decorations from the 17th century are displayed in the Royal 22nd Regiment Museum, in the former
powder magazine, built in 1750. If weather permits, you can watch the Changing of the Guard, a ceremony
in which troops parade before the Citadel in red coats and black fur hats. Note that you must join a
guided tour to visit the Citadel and the museum.
One-hour guided tours are given alternately in French and English.
Ceremonial guards change daily at 10am.
Le Chateau Frontenac
Artillery Park National Historic Site.
as built strategically just within the walls at Porte St-Jean.
The park is a section of the old inner city.
Daily 10am-6pm. Admission $3.25/$2.75
Built in 1893 in the medieval French stle, with numerous turrets
and verdigris copper roofs. Tours daily 10am-6pm. Admission $6/$5.
Strategically located, it faces Levis and ile d'Orleans and commands
views of the St. Lawrence River. Meeting place for Winston Churchill,
Franklin Roosevelt, and other allies during WWII.
Next to le Chateau Frontenac, offers a spectacular view of Old Lower Town
and the St. Lawrence. An 1898 monument to Samuel de Champlain is at
the north end of the terrace. From here one can descend the 55 metres to
Place-Royale, the center of Old Lower Town. The terrace is linked to Battlefield
Park by the Promenade des Bouverneurs, a 670-meter-long walk anchored to a cliff
overlooking the St. Lawrence.
On January 21, 1948, at 3 p.m., the Fleurdelisé replaced the Union Jack on the tower
of the Parliament Building in Québec City, thereby becoming the official flag of Québec.
The flag adopted the white cross on a blue background used by the French navy in the early
days of the colony. Its fleurs-de-lis pointed toward the centre, recalling a flag said to
have accompanied Montcalm's army during its victory in 1758 over the British troops at Fort
Carillon (now Ticonderoga, New York). Because the original Carillon flag commemorated one of
the last great French victories, it became an important symbol in Québec, and, from June 24, 1848 onward,
was part of all National Holiday parades and celebrations. In recognizing the Fleurdelisé as
the Québec flag, the National Assembly, by a unanimous vote of its members, gave official status
to more than four centuries of history and tradition.
Day 3. Montmorency Falls
2 July 2001 (Monday)
Montmorency Falls Park (Parc de la Chute-Montmorency)
7 miles e. via Autoroute 440, is at the confluence of the Montmorency
and St. Lawrence rivers. On the promontory, the park is reached via Hwy 360
(avenue Royale) and offers a spectacular view of the 83-metre-high (270 ft) falls,
the St Lawrence and the south shore of Quebec. The Falls are 30 metres (98 feet)
higher than Niagara falls. A gondola lift provides rides to the promontory
and offers a view of the falls.
At 83m (272 ft.), the falls, named by Samuel de Champlain for his patron,
the duke of Montmorency, are 30m (98 ft.) higher than Niagara -- a boast no visitor is spared.
They are, however, far narrower. The waterfall is surrounded by the provincial Parc de la Chute-Montmorency,
where visitors can stop to take in the view and have a picnic. The park and falls are accessible year-round.
In winter, the plunging waters contribute to a particularly impressive sight: The freezing spray sent up by the
falls builds a mountain of white ice at the base called the pain de sucre (sugarloaf), which sometimes grows
as high as 30m (98 ft.). On summer nights the falls are illuminated.
Park open daily 9am-11pm. Gondola 8:15am - 9:00pm mid-June to late August.
Fleur-de-Lys Shopping Mall
Center of Lower Town, was the 1608 site of Samuel de Champlain's abitation,
the beginning of French colonization of America. The area has been preserved virtually
as it was during the 18th century.
The main dowtown shopping district is along
St-Joseph, which has been transformed into an indoor shopping complex
called Mail Centre-Ville.
Day 4. Ste-Anne-de-Beuapre
3 July 2001 (Monday)
Basilique de Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre
Basilica of Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre was erected in 1923.
Contains the Miraculous Statue of Ste-Anne and relics of the saint
including her wirst bone. The basilica's architecture has Gothic and Romanesque features.
Next to the shrine is the Scala Sancta, a replica of the 28 steps Jesus ascended to meet
Pontius Pilate. Life-size bronze figures depicting the stations of the cross are on the hillside.
Each year, thousands of people make a pilgrimage of sorts to the Sainte-Anne Basilica. This striking structure,
whose roots date back to a Catholic chapel that French explorers erected in 1658, was constructed in the shape
of a Latin cross, using elements of both Gothic and Romanesque architecture. Its unique design includes two soaring spires,
a fabulous white interior, five elaborate naves and 200 intricately designed stained-glass windows. Most visitors are
particularly struck by the Chapel of the Scala Sancta (1891), which contains an astonishing replica of the 28 steps
Jesus climbed before being sentenced by Pontius Pilate. Masses are held daily; admission is free.
official website: http://www.ssadb.qc.ca/en/
Get into a spectacular canyon grooved by 74 m waterfalls into 900 millions years old rocks.
Cross 3 suspensions bridges… one 60 m above the gorge! Knowned by natives, painted by Kreighoff,
described by American philosopher and environmentalist H.D. Thoreau, the site has also welcomed
moviestar John Travolta during the filming of Battlefield Earth in 2000. Now it’s your turn to explore this jewel of Nature
Because of its advantageous route, the Sainte-Anne-du-Nord River was widely used by loggers at the turn of
the century. During a camping trip to the area in the summer of 1965, a former logger explained to Jean-Marie
McNicoll how to reach the Sainte-Anne River falls. As there was no road to the river, Jean-Marie had to make
his way through the woods but was rewarded with an awesome discovery! He retuned with his brother Laurent
telling him he had discovered a unique place.
Two years later, they leased the immediate shores of the river from Hydro-Québec and purchased the
wooded lots between Route 138 and the leased riverbanks. Slowly but surely, work began to clear a road.
All was in place to welcome the first visitors on July 14, 1973. That first year, tourists could reach the
river on a 1.5 kilometre road through the woods. Since then, the walkways have been extended, while other
lookouts and three bridges were built. Today, more than 100,000 people from around the world visit Canyon Sainte-Anne each year.
C.P. 2087, 206, Route 138 est
Beaupré (Québec), Canada G0A 1E0
Phone: (418) 827-4057
Admission Adults (13 and over) C$9 / Children (6-12) C$3.75
Open 9am to 4:45pm
Day 5. Drive Home to Norwood
4 July 2001 (Tuesday)
8:00am depart Quebec for Norwood
4:00pm Home Sweet Home